we take a drive

Alternative title: Happy Birthday Allan!

It's Redsock's birthday today. Sadly, I could not arrange a repeat of last year's birthday present, but I do have some cool consolation prizes.

In comments here, James suggested we take a fall foliage drive in the country, and Marnie reminded me that the window of opportunity would soon be closing. My Canadian geography still being dismal, I thought we'd have to drive way far away to be "out in the country," but apparently not. And, to my happy surprise, Allan said he'd been wondering what is just north of us, and where we might see some small towns and pretty country roads.

So instead of a birthday dinner, we're doing a birthday drive. Sans chiens, I'm afraid. They'll have a nice walk before we leave, but leaving them home gives us more freedom. That's how it is when you have a mentally ill dog.

I've been taking advantage of this lovely autumnal weather, knowing how short-lived it usually is. Yesterday we raked leaves for a couple of hours, which I am still enjoying, and at night we walked by the lake. An almost-full moon was shining a bright ribbon of light on the water. It was beautiful. Every day I feel lucky to be here. I mean that in every sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.