halloween question

We're being good Halloween hosts this year.

In New York, we pretended we weren't home. Yup, we were mean old cranks. We just couldn't stand dealing with our neighbours and their kids and our barking dogs.

But now, being in a house, feeling so friendly and upbeat, I'm going all the way. Putting up decorations on the front door and steps, keeping a big supply of candy at the ready - and answering the door in costume! I'm thinking I'll get a rubber mask, that's always good for a startle. I'm not going to be Dick Cheney or anything, don't want to give anyone a massive coronary, but someone suitably gross.

My question is, is there charity attached to Trick Or Treat here? I know there's Trick Or Treat because I see all the stuff in the supermarket. But do kids also collect coins for charity? When I was a kid, the schools gave out these little orange cardboard Unicef boxes, and most houses put in a penny or two along with your candy. I remember my mom buying rolls of pennies.

No wonder my Halloween memories stand out: it was the only time all year we were allowed to eat candy. My parents were early health food types. Sugar was regarded as only slightly more nutritious than strychnine.

So, should we stock up on nickels or dimes along with the individual candies?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.