fame

If crime is disproportionately low in Canada, fame is disproportionately high. It seems every day I learn some famous person is Canadian.

Through this blog, I learned that William Shatner is Canadian! Amazing that I didn't know that, as I really like the original Star Trek series. (Although I'm not a Sci Fi or Star Trek aficionado by any means, so I've never read a word about the show.) I recently learned that Bruce McCall, whose work I enjoy so much in The New Yorker, is Canadian. Diana Krall, Jane Siberry and Marshall McLuhan are others I recently found out about.

Usually Allan can't believe I didn't know that the person is from Canada. Jane Siberry, for example, inspired "Where were you in college radio during the mid-80s?" Funny, since Allan was a college radio DJ in the mid-80s and introduced me to a ton of music. Well, I still didn't know. And even Allan was surprised about William Shatner.

Everyone knows that Canadians collect famous Canadians. There are websites galore listing them, and if some names stretch the limits of the word "famous," well, at least their hearts are in the right place.

For some wmtc readers' Famous Canadians Lists, see comments in yesterday's non-post.

Two questions.

Anyone know Canadian Paul Shaffer's original name? Look it up!

Is Canuck a derogatory term? Or is it a friendly or neutral nickname, like Kiwi or Brit?

I won't be around in comments today, I'm going exploring with Marnie! Looks like we have a gorgeous autumn day for it. Talk to you all later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.