you've been holding out on me

"New York run by the Swiss."

So said actor Peter Ustinov, describing the city of Toronto. Why didn't anyone ever tell me this? New wmtc reader James finally alerted me to this quote.

To a New Yorker, this is a bizarre description. Nothing could be less New York than the stereotype of clean, efficient Switzerland. Which is not to say New York couldn't be improved by an injection of Swissness.

Googling the phrase, I found this New York Magazine note, which ran after the 2004 election. It's a semi-sarcastic look at which Canadian city disgusted Americans might move to. Let me know what you think of the caricatures.

Here's something seldom seen at wmtc: a little celebrity trash. From Zydeco Fish, I bring you Tom Cruise Is Nuts. I haven't the slightest idea what's going on with the whole Tom Cruise thing. I have read exactly one item relating to it, and that was Brooke Shield's New York Times Op-Ed. Anyone who speaks publicly about mental and emotional illness wins points in my book. But this Is Nuts website is really amusing. Don't miss the reader letters, that's the best part.

Plus, these are the same folks who brought us such internet classics as Exterminate Tom Delay, We Love Arnold, Where In The World Is Jesus, and the newest gem, Karl Rove Is Toast.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.