mapping the blogosphere

Here's an idea that I wish someone else would implement.

I would like to see a map of the blogosphere. Who links to whom.

It could take the form of a Venn Diagram, or a road map, with different color lines for two-way and one-way communication, or some other form that I can't visualize. It couldn't take in the entire blogosphere - I suppose that would be impossible, as it's fluid - but it could represent a good-sized chunk.

I was thinking how when I visit a blog, that blogger and I share some readers, and not others. And how a few clicks will land you in an entirely different blog country. When I visit Crabletta, I see G, Rob and Sleepybomb, who read wmtc, but I also see arse poetica, who probably doesn't. I visit Zydeco Fish, who also visits G, but maybe doesn't visit Crabbi. A new reader, Niobium, found wmtc through (I think) Barbara from California (who I found randomly), and is now turning up at Library Bitch, among other places. Barbara has a completely different readership - Niobium is the only link there. And so on, and so on.

And this, of course, is just one tiny corner of blogdom, the corner I see. Someone like Redsock adds an entire universe to the diagram, because he forms an intersection between leftist politics (and 9/11 inquiry) and baseball. He has two distinct readerships, with a small subset of overlap. A few of his baseball readers have found wmtc, and in turn, have found some of you. And so on and so on and so on.

I think a diagram of the blogosphere would be fascinating to see. I wish someone with the proper knowledge and resources would take it on. Perhaps someone is already working on it. If they are, I hope they find us!

P.S. If you want to try it on a small scale, you can create a Venn Diagram here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.