what i'm watching: a reality show i just might watch

"It isn't Queer Eye," says Scott Thompson. "You've never seen anything like this before.
It is bound to be controversial. But then, Scott Thompson knows all about controversy.

Fortunately, he also knows all about entertaining and amusing, which is as much or more what "My Fabulous Gay Wedding" is about than pushing any sort of social/political agenda.

The daring six-part tryout series, debuting Wednesday night at 10 on Global, puts a same-sex spin on your basic make-a-wedding "reality" show, giving host Thompson and a crack team of planners, caterers and stylists a mere two weeks to throw together an elaborate thematic nuptial event, tailor-made to a particular male or female couple's tastes.

For example, the opening show, a Scottish-themed affair that had both bridegrooms, the show host, celebrity guest Ashley McIsaac and a chorus-line of muscled dancing boys all going commando in kilts.

Next week's episode, a lesbian wedding, features special guest comic/singer Lea DeLaria.

"There is one part they cut out that I'm really upset about," complains Thompson. "Lea comes in, and she's wearing this beaver hat, and she tells me, 'I always wear my beaver hat whenever I come to Canada.' And I go, 'Well, then what's your beaver wearing?'"
I love Scott Thompson!

Thanks, Scott. I needed that. Between Thompson and Whitman (two gay boys!) I can shake off the sadness and get to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.