i am a coward

Check out this comment I just received.
People who give up and move in the face of challenging problems are cowards. If you felt The City was getting "bland" and that the country is moving too far to the right, what did you do to try to change things for the better? Robert Dinero created the TriBeCa Film Festival - You moved to Canada.

We are probably better off without you. Please DO give your apartment to someone who understands there is something worth fighting for here.
Too bad I couldn't create a film festival. That would have really ended the US occupation of Iraq, stopped future US invasions, and gotten the religious right out of the government.

Comments from the yahoos on the right never bother me. In fact, I enjoy them. I like laughing at their ignorance; it's a good reminder of why I feel so out of place in the US.

But these comments, presumably from a progressive, sting. Not because I believe what they say, but because I've tried so hard, and I recognize the limitations, and I wish it weren't the case. Our move is exciting and wonderful, but it's sad that we to leave so badly. Thoughtless comments like this underscore that sadness.

Much has been said in wmtc about courage, and the lack of it. Some thoughts on it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

april 28: day of mourning for workers killed and injured on the job

welcome to toronto, where everything is 1½ hours away

what i'm reading: the sword and the shield: the revolutionary lives of malcolm x and martin luther king jr.